Farm work can be tough on clothes. It’s not just the hard grafting, but also the possibilities of getting covered in mud and being out in all weathers that can ruin a good going out outfit! When you’re on the farm, it’s best to wear work pants or overalls, to keep you warm and dry. Similarly to gloves, the best farm work trousers /overalls should also be sturdy and well made, to last through lots of hard work and cope with brambles, barbed wire and heavy going.
So, are you looking for overalls to go over your normal clothes to offer a level of protection? Or, you may be just after a good, strong pair of jeans to add to your wardrobe. Alternatively, you might like the work pants that look a little smarter than jeans but are still strong and sturdy.
What You'll Learn Today
- Best Farm Work Trousers: Reviews
Best Farm Work Trousers: Reviews
Whatever your work clothing preference, you can find what you’re looking for pretty easily – especially as we have done our homework and found the best three work trousers to suit just about any need.
Jeans / Overalls / Pants
|Carhartt Women’s Casper Jean
Stylish jeans to keep your legs protected and safe.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE
|TOP PICK: Dickies Women’s Bib Overall
Ideal for those who get stuck in with the messy work.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE
|Dickies Men’s Carpenter Pant
Suitable for hard work in whatever field you are in.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE
1. Carhartt Women’s Original Fit Stretch Denim Casper Jean Review
These jeans are tailored to women specifically, due to the cut of them. They are fantastically comfortable, hard wearing and strong, and will be a great addition to any farming lady’s wardrobe.
- 2% Spandex for a little stretch. Work jeans are always more comfortable if they have a little give to them, because of all the bending and stretching you will be doing. These jeans are a Cotton/Polyester/Spandex mix, so they are strong yet comfortable.
- Contoured waistline. This clever addition to these jeans prevent uncomfortable gaps at the back of the jeans when you bend down.
- 5 pockets for convenience. For when you need to pick up fallen nails, dropped piece of string or carry treats for the livestock, these pockets are very helpful. It’s also very handy to have a place to store your mobile phone and keys when you want to be hands free and not carry a bag.
- Flex stretch and recovery so the jeans keep their shape. You won’t have to put up with these trousers getting baggy and loose over time, as they are designed to spring back into their original shape as soon as they’re washed and dried.
- Boot leg style. Some people prefer a straight legged trouser to do farm work in, as there is less fabric to tuck inside a boot. However, if you like trousers that go outside your boots then these are perfect!
A great pair of farm work trousers, that will keep your legs protected and safe, and that also look very stylish (isn’t it nice to know you can still look good when you’re up to your knees in muck?)
2. Dickies Women’s Plus Size Denim Bib Overall Review
These work trousers are more of a dungaree style, and so are ideal for those who really get stuck in with the messy work, and need something to protect the top half as well as the bottom.
- Relaxed fit for comfort. When you’re hard at work, the last thing you want is uncomfortable clothes making the job harder. These overalls will keep you comfy as well as being highly practical.
- Straight leg with a scuff guard hem. When you’re out gardening, or wherever you are when you’re wearing work clothes, the bottoms of your trousers can take a hammering. The scuff guard on the heels of these overalls is very helpful to avoid them becoming unraveled.
- Fits a plus size while also looking feminine. Often, larger size overalls have a slightly “manly” look to them, which you may not want. This version from Dickies will allow you to work hard and still look cute!
- Easy to take care of. There are no special washing instructions with these; you can just throw them in with your normal washing and they will come out just the way they went in (except cleaner, of course!)
- May be too long in the leg. It has been reported that these overalls tend to run a little long in the leg. Nothing a bit of rolling up or hemming won’t fix, however!
These dungaree style work trousers are a great addition to your working clothes. Sturdy enough to wear around the farm, and comfortable enough to wear all day – with the added bonus that they will also make you look very fetching!
3. Dickies Men’s Tough Max Duck Carpenter Pant Review
These are men’s working trousers, and they are one of the best pairs you can get. Made by a company that specializes in work clothes, you will find them comfortable and convenient, and they will work as hard as you do and make your job easier.
- Flex fabric for ease of movement. These trousers are a Cotton/Polyester/Elastane construction, with the Elastane adding a much needed bit of give when you bend and stretch.
- Tool pockets and utility loop. Having dedicated places to store your tools for convenience is a must for work trousers, and these ones have pockets just where they are meant to, which makes your life easier.
- Reinforcement where it is needed. It is disheartening when work trousers give up the ghost before you are ready to lose them – these ones have reinforcement in all the areas which get the most use, so they should last for years.
- Tough Max fabric for long life and durability. The fabric of these work trousers is tested and approved by Invista, so you know they will be as strong and hardy as you need them to be.
- They may be a little cold. Because these trousers are designed to be flexible, they are quite thin, so you may need an extra layer under them if you are working in freezing conditions.
A hard wearing pair of men’s trousers, suitable for hard work in whatever field you are in. These will help you carry your tools, work all day, and still be comfortable.
The best farm work trousers or overalls need to be rugged and as hard working as you are. They also need to be comfortable so you can spend all day in them without rubbing or chafing. We have picked out three of the best, so hopefully you can find what you are looking for.
If you live in a very cold area, you may also want to consider these insulated bib overalls.