Farm work often requires large machinery to do big jobs that cannot be done by hand. This is all very well and good if it is a petrol or diesel driven machine, but what if your particular item needs an electric source? You may be lucky enough to have electricity points dotted about the farm into which you can plug electrical items – but what if you are working out and about, far from any source of power? Or if your farm doesn’t actually have electricity? Fear not, there is a solution! A generator can bring you electrical power wherever you are.
Generators vary in size, weight, and power – you may just need a small backup generator to power your lights in the event of a power cut; or a portable one to take out and about in the fields for a spot of maintenance, or you may be looking for a large generator that can power your entire farm. Overall, it is an important piece of equipment for your farm safety.
What You'll Learn Today
- Best Generator For Farm Use: Reviews
Best Generator For Farm Use: Reviews
Whatever you are looking for, we have found an answer to your problems – have a look through our top best generator for farm use lists, and see if you can find something that suits your needs.
|Generac 7117 GP2200i 2200W
A great portable generator for small operations such as lights.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|TOP PICK: Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel
A very good heavy duty dual fuel generator.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
The most powerful model on our list.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
1. Generac 7117 GP2200i 2200W Portable Inverter Generator Review
This is the ideal generator for someone who wants to be able to transport it from place to place, as it is easily portable and not too heavy. The built in carry handle really helps with transportation!
- Simple to start. The integrated Off / Run / Choke knob makes starting this generator easy and simple, and running it is as easy as leaving it to get on with its job.
- Suitable for adding more power. This generator is parallel ready, meaning that you can join two inverters up together for when you want a boost of extra power.
- Large fuel tank for long run time. At 1.2 gallons, you can get enough fuel into this generator to keep it running for nearly 11 hours at a time. You can also select “economy” mode, which will stretch the fuel out even further.
- It’s quiet to run. Unlike some of the bigger generators, you won’t have to shout to hear yourself over this one! This makes it ideal for working near livestock that might be sensitive to noise.
- Not as powerful as some. You will only be able to use this generator for the smaller side of equipment; at 2200 watts it just isn’t suitable for really large, power hungry equipment.
A great little generator for someone who needs the ability to carry a power source to another place, and use it for small operations such as lights. There’s also a USB port so you can charge your phone while you’re using it!
2. Rainier R4400DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator Review
A heavy duty generator, specifically suitable for people who have access to Propane and Gasoline to power their generator – and those who want a bit more bang for their buck. With 4400 peak watts, this one should stand up to robust operations.
- Easy to start. No more tugging endlessly on a starter cable with this model; it starts at the touch of a button. This makes using the generator much easier, and means you can get on with the job quicker.
- Provides power for a long time. This generator will keep going for up to 18 hours; even longer if you are using dual fuel sources. This is great for those long jobs or for where you need to use backup power for longer than you expected.
- Comes with a three year warranty. You won’t have any problems with this generator, but if you do it is comforting to know that you can send it back to be repaired if anything goes wrong within three years.
- Simple to assemble. This generator comes with a wheeled unit, meaning that you can transport it if necessary (be warned, it is heavy!) which is easy to put together yourself, and it comes with instructions.
- You need to use high quality oil. Because this is a fine piece of machinery, it expects only the finest! You also need to keep a close eye on the oil fill gauge. Good quality oil, and keeping it topped up, should keep it working well for years to come, however.
A good, standard generator which is very versatile as it can use two types of fuel. It is hardy enough to power large equipment for a long time, making it ideal to have about the farm.
3. Westinghouse WGen3600DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator Review
This generator is perfect for someone who needs a generator to be ready to go instantly, as it comes out of the box with everything that you need to fire it up. It is also the most powerful model, so is very suitable for those who have large power requirements.
- Easy to use straight away. This generator comes with oil, an oil funnel, a free tool kit and a users’ manual. You don’t have to do a lot to assemble it; simply attach the wheels and hook up the battery.
- Push button start. You won’t have to spend ages, and tire out your arm, pulling on a string to get this generator to start – you just click a button! This pairs up with a wireless electric key fob, so starting your generator has never been easier.
- Automatic shut down. When most generators run out of oil, you’re looking at a costly repair bill. This one will shut itself off before it has fully running out, saving you the cost of fixing it or buying a new one because the old one has burnt out.
- 3 year warranty. It is very comforting to know that your generator can be fixed, replaced or spare parts provided for free, isn’t it? With this model, you can enjoy that comfort for three years.
- It runs quite loud. Because this is a large generator, suitable for larger applications, it does run a little on the noisy side.
This is a great generator, which has taken on board user suggestions over the years and has come up with some great, time saving additions.
When you’re looking for the best generator for farm, you don’t want to have to skimp on power, or size, or the things that you are looking for in a generator. We have picked out three different generators for three different applications, so hopefully you should find what you are looking for.
If you are looking to add more security tools into your arsenal, have a look at our selection of security cameras for farm.