If you live on a farm, you probably have to deal with a lot of wood. From chopping down trees that are in the wrong place, to dealing with large quantities of wood, to removing fallen limbs, you will probably find that you have to process a lot of different types of wood! If you have a wood burner or an open fire, chances are you can burn this wood and dispose of it that way – but if you don’t have a fire, or there is too much wood to consider chopping, stacking and burning, then why not look into a wood chipper?
The best wood chipper for small farm can help you deal with your excess wood problems, at the same time as providing sawdust that can be used for many other purposes such as bedding for your livestock, mulch for the garden and just generally removing the problem of large tree branches getting in the way of your paths.
What You'll Learn Today
Best Wood Chipper: Reviews
It can be a little daunting to know which wood chipper to buy, and this is where we come in! We have discovered three of the best products for you to choose from, so you can find the best option for your small farm.
|TOP PICK: SuperHandy Wood Chipper
A great chipper, with a clever design and a strong engine.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|YARDBEAST 2090 Wood Chipper Shredder
A very powerful chipper with a seriously heavy duty rotor.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
|Sun Joe CJ602E Electric Wood Chipper
A great little compact chipper at a good price.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE|
1. SuperHandy Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher with Extension Cord Reel
This is a great little wood chipper for doing small jobs while out and about. It is not cordless, so you will need to be near (ish) a socket.
- Super long, retractable cable. This chipper can be set up far away from plugs and electrical sockets, due to the 50 feet of length you get on the cable reel.
- Powerful and able to cope with large logs. This shredder features a 7HP 212cc 4-stroke engine, meaning that it is a strong piece of kit and can easily chomp through branches of 3” diameter.
- Offers a mulching service. This clever 3-in-1 piece of kit will not only shred and chip your branches, but will provide you with mulch too, when you use the appropriate section of the machine.
- Innovative design reduces jams. Unlike some other chippers, this one features a Slanted Housing that easily allows branch after branch to be fed into it, without causing blockages.
- Care must be taken when inserting small branches. Although this chipper makes short work of large branches, it can struggle with smaller, twiggy and leafy branches.
A great wood chipper, with a clever design and a strong engine. What more could you want in a wood chipper?
2. YARDBEAST 2090 Wood Chipper Shredder
This is a serious piece of kit, for serious wood chipping jobs! It will see you through just about any branch you throw at it. (Seriously though, don’t actually throw branches at it!)
- Large wheel for ease of towing. This chipper has 15 x 6 – 6 wheels to make it easy to pull along behind you on a mower or small tractor, so you can take it out and about with you when you need to do chipping jobs around the place.
- Seriously heavy duty rotor. The blades on this beast will be able to get through the hardest of hard woods, with their 6 full shred flails and 22 hardened impact hammers.
- It is multifunctional. Not only will this machine tear through logs and spit out sawdust, it can also cope with the small leaves and twigs that might choke up other wood chippers.
- Shreds large branches quickly. This chipper is perfect for branches up to 3.5” in diameter, and it will turn them into sawdust almost as fast as you can poke the logs in!
- It comes with a hefty price tag. If you are looking for a cheap little shredder to cope with your fallen branches, you may have to dig a bit deeper into your wallet than you would like!
This heavy duty machine will become your new best friend if you have a lot of large branches to dispose of! It is also easily portable, making it a very versatile piece of kit.
3. Sun Joe CJ602E 15-Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder, Green
This wood chipper is perfect for those who need to dispose of small, leafy branches and who want to turn their waste into garden mulch.
- Powerful 15 amp motor. This machine can easily deal with branches and twigs up to 1.5” in diameter – ideal for processing those garden hedge trimmings.
- Small, compact and portable. This is a lightweight machine, which means it is great for taking out and about with you – whether to the allotment, or a friend’s garden – or even just if you are taking it to other parts of your own garden.
- It is safe to use. There will be no worries about accidentally lopping off a finger when using this machine – the safety hopper with locking knob stops the motor from working when the hopper is open.
- Full 2 year warranty. It is always comforting when a product comes with a warranty, isn’t it? This manufacturer believes so much in the strength and longevity of their product that they will replace or fix it for a full two years after you bought it!
- The cutting blades can lose their edge. Even if you are only shredding small, thin branches, you may find that you have to sharpen the blades from time to time.
A great little compact chipper, ideal for those who want to create some delicious plant mulch to spread on the vegetable patch or allotment, this one is perfect for the small garden/farm.
A wood chipper is a great addition to the other tools on your farm. It can help maintain your farm, keep your pathways clear and your woodlands healthy, and it can also provide some useful by products too!
The best wood chipper will be small, easy to transport and use, and suitable for small scale wood chipping as well as larger areas.