Welding is a fairly essential skill, especially if you work with a lot of farm machinery – they have a habit of breaking, and heavy equipment needs some heavy repair work. A stick welder is a great solution to farm machinery that needs fixing; it is small and portable enough to carry about with you, but it packs enough punch to hold metal together for long enough to finish the job.
A good stick welder will be strong, man enough for the job, and adaptable enough to have a good go at anything you throw at it – and they are generally lighter on the pocket than a full sized welder.
What You'll Learn Today
Best Stick Welder For Farm Use: Reviews
Without further ado, here are my 3 all-time favorites:
|TOP PICK: SUNGOLD POWER Stick DC Welder
A great, multifunctional stick welder.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE
|Hobart 500570 Stickmate
Small, portable, ideal for carrying around on the farm.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE
|Forney Easy Weld 298 Arc Welder
Perfect for fixing your small welding problems.
|CLICK TO CHECK PRICE
1. SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp MIG MAG ARC MMA Stick DC Welder
This stick welder is suitable for different types of welding depending on the job that you are doing, and it can easily fix all types of metal, from steel to aluminium and just about everything in between.
- Multifunctional, so useful for all types of welding. You can use this welder for MIG, MAG or ARC, depending on the type of welding you’re working on.
- Easy and simple to use. This welder will join stainless steel and aluminium very neatly, and can also be used for mild steel, iron, carbon steel, as well as other metals. It is a very versatile welder, which is not fussy about what sort of material it is working with!
- Can be used on rusty metal. This is a great function for a stick welder on a farm, where machinery is often old and rusty – no need to clean it up before you start, just get the goggles on and let the welder do the rest.
- Adjustable wire feed and welding current. This means that you can adjust the speed and current to suit whatever welding application you are undertaking. Perfect for taking around the farm to do different jobs on different types of metal.
- It is heavier than some other welders. This welder carries a weight of 48lb, which makes it more cumbersome than some other models – this is because it is made from high quality materials, however.
A great stick welder that can be adapted to just about any job you decide to throw at it, this one will soon become a trusted addition to your tool kit. The fact that it can work with previously rusted material is a great plus, and means less work for you.
2. Hobart 500570 Stickmate 160i
This small, portable stick welder is ideal for carrying around with you on the farm, for those on the spot jobs that can’t wait till you’re back at the yard, or for fixing a machine that won’t move without a bit of maintenance.
- Quick and reliable to start. You won’t have to worry about this welder taking ages to start; the arc uses innovative technology which will get it going instantly and easily.
- Light and easy to carry around. This little welder weighs under 20lb, which means that it’s a great option for taking around the place with you for those little fixes when you’re far from an electric socket.
- DC output means a smooth weld. The DC output of this machine gives less spatter, fewer outages and the best arc control – DC output is the preferred method of arc control by professional welders, so you can be sure this one is a trusted model.
- Comes with adapters. You can connect this welder to connect to 120 or 240V receptacles, without the use of tools which have MPV adapters. A highly convenient piece of kit.
- Some parts made in China. This welder is not entirely made locally, which some people consider a downside. However, this is still a well made, high performing machine.
A reliable stick welder that will help get you out of many a sticky situation when you’re far away from your main welder, and cannot wait for a fix to your particular problem. It’s a great portable welder for on the move.
3. Forney Easy Weld 298 Arc Welder
You’ll never have to worry about losing sight of this brightly colored welder in a field – its eye catching color will stand out in the hedgerows if you drop it! It is small enough to take with you places easily, but it packs a mighty punch.
- This welder is TIG capable. Although the TIG is sold separately, this welder can easily handle other operations, making it very versatile.
- Ideal for someone who doesn’t weld much. This welder is so simple to use that even a beginner can handle it, and it is perfect for the odd jobs here and there on the farm.
- It’s a good price. Welders are expensive, there’s no doubt about that – but this one is more reasonably priced than most, so you can splash out on it without really splashing out.
- Can weld even thick steel. If you’re working with thick steel, you need a massive welder, right? Not so much. Despite its small size, this stick welder can cope with big jobs, even quite thick steel, without any problems.
- Can be tricky to start. This welder does not have hot start technology, so it can take a little longer than some to get going – it runs well once it does start though.
This small device is perfect for fixing your small welding problems when you’re far away from the mains sockets and fuel cans of your main farm – a great solution for when you’re on the move.
When you’re looking for the best stick welder for farm use, you want something that is hard working, sturdy and easy to use. A welder that is small enough to transport to the farthest reaches of your boundaries is also a big consideration, in case you have a job to do that means you have to carry your equipment. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for from the list above!
If you’re looking for more tools for your farm work, here is my selection of great paints for rusty equipment. You will need it!